19 May 2010

We like Rémi Bertoche

Rémi-Bertoche_lightning-bolt-artwork
He kindly sent us his first Lightning Bolt artwork

When he’s not surfing the ocean, he surfs on canvas and when he leaves the canvas, he still embodies surf in his “FreeSurfing” magazine.
This is true, but an understatement when trying to describe Rémi Bertoche!
And why? Rémi is a painter, graphic designer, professional surfer, golf player, fashion designer, book publisher and the owner and editor of two French magazines: the “FreeSurfing Mag” and the “FreeGolf Mag.”
This incredibly and multitalented young man, born in 1977 in the elegant seaside city of Biarritz, in the Basque Country, and began his career as a professional surfer when he toured with the world tour from 1998 to 2003. Around the same time, still in his twenties, Rémi set up his first business utilizing his artistic skills.
It continues to be his main occupation. His paintings are inspired by two main atmospheres, “Surf & Sea” and “Golf,” his favorite sports. His work has made him well-rounded and worldly, namely travelling to luxury resorts in Turtle Bay (Hawaii) or in Tokyo (Japan).
Rémi has already gathered enough material to publish three art books, translated into English, Spanish and Japanese. He’s currently preparing the fourth volume.
Rémi’s graphic design skills stand out and can be seen in brands like Rip Curl, Swatch, Hurley, Puma and Purple Haze who have worked with him on advertisement and fashion design.
Art-Deco_Rémi-Bertoche_Huille sur toille sur chassis
Art Deco - Huille sur toille sur chassis – 300cm x 190cm

In 2005, Rémi decided to launch an artsy golf magazine, the “FreeGolf Mag,” which is now distributed in 800 clubs. Two years later, he created yet another great magazine, the “FreeSurfing Mag,” which has gained recognition for its innovative design and concept.
As such a multi-faceted individual, it would take us too long to make a full interview about his life and career, so we had to select only a few questions. It was tough…
With such a busy career, how do you make time for your wife?
We celebrated our 10th anniversary together last year - we have 4 amazing children and I am very passionate about our family. They are integrated into all my projects and every major decision requires a family meeting. Everything requires a lot of planning, especially the art tour because I am on the road for 40 or 50 dates for live painting shows. It is true that I'm always over-booked, but never afraid of work and of new projects. Life is too short and nothing is more painful than regret...
We must confess it’s hard to figure it out exactly what your daily routine is. Can you tell us about it?
Wow! The most important thing is to understand that there is no plan or daily strategy. Sometimes, I dream and think of something and I wake up to take my paintbrush or paper to start something... It may sound weird, but it is like that.
For example, last night I woke up to paint oil canvas at 4 a.m. (in front of me: my TV to watch the ride of my French friend at Olympic Games). At 7 a.m., I checked my email and messages on Facebook. It was already 8 a.m. when I had an hour surf session. I was working on the magazines’ layout by 10 a.m. and had a lunch meeting with partners and investors from noon to 1 p.m. In the afternoon, I attended more meetings for the European surf shop tour planning. From 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., I played golf with my wife’s children and then checked emails and worked on some issues for my 4th book. Then at 9:30 p. m., dinner with my wife…
But not all days are alike; sometimes I wake up at 3 p. m. (laughs).The most important thing to me is to find some little windows for surf or golf and always keep a positive attitude.
Rémi-Bertoche_Surfboard-painting
Here using his surfboard painting skills.

Kelly Slater is also a good golf player. But don't you think golf and surf are probably on opposite sides regarding action, risk and even personal attitude towards lifestyle? What links you to these two sports?

That's probably why these two sports are complementary. The mental attitude for golf is very important; when you miss a shot you need to redirect your attention to the next one and forget the bad swing. It’s exactly the same in a surf heat, when you fall down on your best waves...
Also, it’s always nice to think and play the golf strategy game and walk on the beautiful fairways in nice natural places... I also like the feeling of the swing shot. It’s nice to see the little white ball flying over 250 metres in the middle of the fairway. Golf is one sport where you cannot hold something against somebody, it’s only you. If you do a bad shot, that’s your fault. Sometimes it’s hard to admit it, it’s always better to find an excuse... This is why golf is so interesting; it helps you controlling your spirit.
What happens when you have a perfect off shore day to go surfing and you get invited to play golf with your best friend?
I always have a solution... I don't need a 5 hour-session to be happy, neither an 18-hole nor a 5-hour golf course for satisfaction. Sometimes, I just play 3 holes and I shot 6 balls on each start. But first I am a surfer so my first choice is naturally a good surf session. And I like all the sessions even if it’s on shore; I like it when it’s stormy and big on the beach break, for example… I prefer to have a 1-hour session at 100%, than a 3-hour session at 50%...
Anyway, I think I’d tell my best friend, who’s also a good surfer (laughs), let’s go surf. I’m sure he’d be ok with this choice... Next day, we’d go play golf. We’re lucky as the golf course is on the beach; we park our car at the same place for practising both sports.
Some of your surf and waves’ paintings privilege hollow waves and others pass on turbulence. Is this related to your surf style?
I enjoy painting what I like in the surf scene and what people like to buy!!... In the surf shop tour, I really need to understand what clients like and ask.
When I’m alone in my art studio, I like to explore different styles and abstract experiences... You know, my art universe is always on a constant need for search and I need to learn a lot. The art oil painting is very technical and I need to explore again 80% of this world... Above all I need to work all day on my art, this is the only strategy I have…
Which painters do you get your inspiration from?
The best of the best is Salvador DALI, because he had it all: technical skills, vision and charisma. For the surf scene, I like Severson for his life and his entire art project.
I admire Wyland for the big mural idea and also Lassen for his universe and fine art. I really like Lundy and Rietveld, who’s a friend. Also the biography of Griffin... Anyway, I admire all the painters who have a real art universe and singular technique or talent. For me and my vision about art, a black drawing with two eyes quickly done on a classic round face is not an art work... it’s a drawing made by classic people. To become an artist, it takes more than a spiritual conception. You are not an artist if you take a black pen and draw something in five minutes like I see in all the magazines who want to be fashionable and new generation trend spotters. They wish to be different, but that’s easy to do and everybody can do it, there is no originality in working like that. What really catches my attention is when I see a magazine that it’s different in its layout and on the choice of real artists or art projects.
What kind of atmosphere would you paint on the classic Lightning Bolt surfboards used by Gerry Lopez and Rory Russell in Pipeline during the seventies?
I love this part of the surfing history, the colours of the classic Lightning Bolt are very warm, like the Hawaiian place they come from, but it could be interesting to try more pink and green lagoon, associations with some resin pin line and special pro logo model.
And what about the release of three books, was it your own idea or were you pushed by friends or family?
At the beginning, it was a simple idea because the taxes and status for work in France are really not easy. So when you declare yourself as an artist, you need to say how many paintings you make, the colours you need for one canvas, how many paintings you sold with the picture, size and title... So, now I say it for fun, it is better to make a book to declare everything... and I worked on this idea and liked it, as I was a young artist, nobody at that time wanted to publish me. I checked the possibility and researched some sponsors who believed in this project and just managed to publish myself the books... Though the books are not very interesting for profit, as I’m actually losing money with them, they are important to establish a real visual credibility.
Regarding the professional surfing, are you already out? What made you took that decision?
You know, it’s hard to follow the tour when you are not always on the top. I left my family home when I was 17 to live in Australia and at 18 I slept at the surf club in the beach during 4 months... so the pro tour was my dream but the budget to follow was not there... That’s why now I go to some competitions again, but mainly for fun. This year I finished 295 on the WQS and I surf on each event with a 5'2’’ purple haze 5-fin diamond tail just for fun!
And the FreeSurfing Mag, tell us a bit why you felt motivated to do it?
That's an exciting project. I have the vision of a surfer to make a magazine for surfers, not for the public who just likes surf.
It makes a real difference for the surf wear brands, as their main message has not the same spirit of mine, because they always think of the target who buys the production. The FreeSurfing Magazine it’s just an art surf magazine for surfers made by surfers.
What’s on your mind for the future?
I am focused on my art studios architecture, on the 4th volume of my book, on the magazines, on the European art surf shop tour 2010, on the next barrels, on the next birdies, on the next travel. There are sooo many things on my mind... and little time to slow down!
And where can we find your work soon?
Coming next is the European Surf Shop Tour 2010. You have more information, photos and news about the last tour on Facebook: Remi Bertoche.
Websites:
http://www.bertoche-international.com
http://www.bertoche.com
http://www.freegolfmag.com
http://www.freesurfingmag.com
Rémi-Bertoche_at-work

No comments: